The middle Years program aims to help students:
- Develop an appreciation of technology in their life, society and the environment.
- Use knowledge, skills and techniques to create products with appropriate quality.
- Develop critical thinking skills through application of the design cycle.
- Develop respect for the viewpoints of others.
- Use and apply information technology as a means to effectively communicate and solve problems.
Objectives of MYP design Tech
Each MYP Design Tech unit is an exploration of the Design Cycle, which is intended as a tool for students to follow as they create and evaluate products/solutions in response to design and engineering challenges. The Design Cycle consists of four main stages and these relate to the objectives of the course.
- In Inquiring and Analyzing, students identify the problem and develop a design brief and design specifications.
- In Developing Ideas, students design possible solutions and evaluate them against design specifications. Students then plan how they will create their chosen design (for the solution).
- In Creating the Solution, students follow their plan to create their solution using appropriate methods and techniques.
- In Evaluating the Solution students reflect on their performance and test their product/solution against the design specifications.